Film Opening Sequence

Evaluation: Question seven



This is my prelim task. Bearing in mind we had had close to no practice with the programmes and cameras we used to make this film opening i actually think it went quite well. The acting could be improved a lot but we had never tried to act for a film opening before so that couldn't really be helped. 


I feel i have learnt alot when filming and editing as my prelim task was only average compared to how well our editing and filming was for our final film opening sequence for Parallel. I definitely think doing our prelim task was worthwhile as it helped us practice using the different editing tools and programmes which then resulted in our final film opening being successful. I learnt how to improve the titles which also then improves the quality of the film. 


This is my prelim task title. I hadn't used Premiere before so i didn't really experiment however i didn't think it was too bad for my first film opening.




This was our final title for our film opening sequence. After our first draft we changed the titles quite a lot as our class feedback mentioned a lot about titles and how they didn't work very well. We chose this font and size for our final draft and everyone seems to think they work well with the genre of our film and we are also happy with them as a group.

My learning journey is evident throughout my blog. It is obvious that i didn't know much about how to use each programme to create the film openings/ practice edits hence why they aren't as successful as they could be. However looking at my more recent blog posts it is clear that I have learnt to use and experiment with a few different/ new programmes such as E-Maze. I found this programme quite fun to use as it was different and made my 'audience research have also learnt a lot about different films and how each aspect of the film is important in its own way. For example the titles. I didn't think titles were that important so we spent less time on them and concentrated more on the filming side of things. We soon came to realise (after receiving our class feedback on our first draft) how important titles were when it comes to introducing a film.  




Here is a screenshot showing a part of my blog that shows one programme used to prove  my learning journey is evident and how it has improved. 

When taking camera work into consideration I think I had included quite a few varied shots into my prelim task such as match on action. This was shown when Olivia opened the door to go into the toilets. I tried to make this as smooth as possible so each shot would dissolve and appear into the next, however I do think this could be better with more practice. In our final film opening we aimed to used all of the well known shots which would give us the best possible mark for our film. We used a birdseye shot when we filmed Max walking down the path in the park and I actually thought this worked really well and created quite a creative effect. We also used shot/ reverse shot to show Zac and Zabel talking to one another. This use of camera work created tension and suspense and also allowed the person viewing it to empathise with him as he was being controlled by his second personality.

 This shot shows the first part to the match on action as the door handle is pushed down and the door is opened.


 

This shot shows the after- match on action after we had walked through the door that had been filmed opening from the other side of the door.









I think this image is quite well shot as we managed to film ourselves in the mirror without the camera being seen which made it seem ore realistic and like a real film.

Here is the birdseye view of Max walking down the pathway which I think is one of our most successful shots.